|Publication Date: 16 Jul 2015|
|Publisher: Sheldon Press|
|ISBN-13: 9781847093288, 9781847093295|
Living with the Challenges of Dementia
· Understanding the changes in memory, personality and behaviour
· Developing an understanding of personal challenge
· Overcoming loneliness and isolation
· How family dynamics may affect the caring experience
· ‘The long goodbye’ - coping with progressive decline
· Severe dementia and end of life care
· Finding meaning in the experience – is there a
‘positive’ side of looking after someone with dementia?
This is a thought-provoking book addressing the devastating effects of dementia on close family and friends.
Topics covered include understanding the changes in memory, personality and behaviour, family dynamics and overcoming isolation. The chapters encourage self-reflection, with case studies from family members who have experienced the challenges of their loved ones being diagnosed with the disorder. They offer a unique insight into the reality of those affected.
The book is divided into sections, focusing primarily on emotions and relationships, which allow the reader to refer back easily to a particular section when necessary.
A minor criticism is that it does not have a sole clinical nursing focus and is a relatively long book.
An insightful and reflective read, it is ideal for those working in care home settings where families often reach crisis point. It would also be a useful addition for nurses and carers working in long-term dementia care settings to encourage empathy and highlight the importance of relationship-centred care.